Friday, June 12, 2009

Bipappin' it!

Hello, my loyal followers!!

It's Friiiiidayyyyyyy, bitches! Not that I have overly exciting plans this weekend. But, you know. I can still get excited about Fridays. Even if I don't work or go to school during the week. So, bite me! :) I guess I will go down to the pool this weekend. I'm a bit worried though b/c the last thing I want is to get more sunburn. I'll have to put on a 70 SPF sunscreen or somethin'. Like mentioned in my last blog post, I'm STILL peeling from the sunburn that I got from the beach. Now my legs are peeling too, not just my arms.

So, today I went to the walk in bipap clinic at Lincare. I needed a new mask b/c mine is falling apart. When I was at my pulmo. appointment the other day, my Dr. told me to ask Lincare about possibly switching out my bipap machine. I told her that when I was in the hospital I didn't have any sleep episodes and that I was using the hospital's bipap machine. So, she suggested that maybe the reason why I'm still having them is because my machine is messed up. So, today I asked the respiratory therapist about it at Lincare. He checked my machine and said everything was working properly. THEN, he told me something that both excited and disgusted me at the same time.

He told me that there is a special bipap machine called an "auto bipap" and it basically does the same thing they do during a sleep study at the sleep clinic. I was FLOORED. He said that it, of course, doesn't monitor the brain stuff but it does monitor the changes in your breathing while you sleep. So, in other words, it SHOULD be able to show what the hell is happening to me when I have these sleep episodes! It was like music to my ears. I was so excited. But, then I got a bit annoyed. No, more than a BIT annoyed. I got very annoyed. EXTREMELY annoyed. I had asked more than once in Chapel Hill if there was not someway that we could monitor me in my sleep from home. The answer was always NO. That I HAD to drive all the way up there and stay the night in the sleep clinic hooked up to all that crap in order for them to see what was going on while I slept. Now I'm pissed that I had to go through 3 sleep studies to find out absolutely NOTHING. When I could have just stayed home in my own bed and slept more comfortably, which would have probably gotten better results. So, I emailed my doctor and told her about it and asked her to fax an order to Lincare so I can get the ball rolling with this home sleep study via autobipap. I pray that it works well enough to find out what the hell is going on with my breathing at night! Keep your fingers crossed!

Aside from that news, there is nothing else to report.

I hope you all have a lovely, exciting weekend. I'm off like a prom dress!



1 comment:

Katey said...

Have fun this weekend at the pool...and definitely soak up with sunscreen. That's neat about the new bipap machine...i'm praying that everything works out and you can get it!! I scheduled a sleep study about 2 years ago, but then had to cancel because I got sick. I've been debating on whether I want to reschedule one or not? I'm the worst sleeper and never sleep.